The Maynard Institute for Journalism Education is now accepting applications for our next cohort of Oakland Voices, designed to empower Oakland residents through newswriting, photography, and community storytelling.
Correspondents will receive training and report on a range of issues highlighting the triumphs and challenges of life in the Town.
The last day to apply has been extended to Sunday, May 23, 7pm PST.
- Oakland Voices correspondents will be expected to attend virtual meetings throughout the six-month program.
- There will be an orientation at the start of the project.
- We will also hold regular, 2-hour newsroom trainings/meetings once a month (TBD).
- And three half-day training sessions in June, August, and September/October.
The 2021 cohort is completely virtual–with the possibility of an in-person graduation, if public health conditions change.
Correspondents will receive a $1,000 stipend for participation and completing assignments.
- Any Oakland resident who is a high school senior or older is eligible.
- Unhoused residents, low-income and communities of color encouraged.
HOW TO APPLY
Complete our virtual Application form.
Contact Oakland Voices Coordinator Rasheed Shabazz with questions: OaklandVoices@gmail.com, 510-863-1695